Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hydrate

Obviously I know that staying hydrated is essential for bodily functions. Not so obvious is the reason behind my body's need to sabotage itself. And I am not the only one with this problem. Did you know that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. 75%! That is insane! I don't know what everyone else's problem is, but mine is laziness. Downright, full bore laz-i-ness. This has been an issue for as long as I can remember. Even my hairstylist/friend Juju has told me repeatedly that the reason my scalp is always so dry is because I need to drink more water. She even crams it down my throat when I go see her. I am too lazy to get the water, too lazy to unscrew the cap of the water, too lazy to screw it back on, and way too lazy to pee repeatedly after I drink all this wonderfully hydrating water. Water is so important for our bodies to work properly. It clears toxins out of our body and helps our metabolism. Also, I just found out that because the thirst drive in most people is so weak, it is regularly mistaken for HUNGER! Great, so not only is my scalp dry, but I am getting fatter too?

What a dummy I am. I had tried everything to snap me out of this laziness. I had bought fancy water bottles with twists and built in straws. I bought super cute trendy looking ones, and I even bought the en vogue metal ones thinking that being environmentally conscious would snap me out of it. I know I need the water I just had to find the lazy girl's way to get it in my mouth. 


My mom was the one who unknowingly found my solution. I know I am going to sound like a commercial for these water bottles, but I don't even care. www.gocontigo.com. Everyone should have one. I have one for water (the pink one to the left) and one for hot liquids. They don't spill and all you have to do is squeeze. Also, they don't have the bad plastics that cause cancer. I just got the hot liquids one, and the no-spilling component is completely awesome on that one. I have been using the water one for a few months and I carry it everywhere. It can even clip to my bag for easy transport. I buy a 2.5 gallon jug of water and keep it in the kitchen and fill it all the time. Ideally, I will at some point figure out how to hook up my PUR water purifier so I am using less plastic. Living life should be easier so I have finally "skinnified" my water drinking and I am finally getting the hydration I need.

2 comments:

  1. Am loving this. Hydration (or lack thereof) is one of my problem areas as well. And you make such a good point, that a lot of times we feel hungry but its our body trying to tell us its thirsty! I remember when I was a kid, if it was in between meals and I told my mom I was hungry she would say, "Drink some water" ...20 years later this now makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how it takes us so long to realize the wisdom of our mothers?

    ReplyDelete