Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Months Resolutions


I make some variation of New Years Resolutions every year. Except every year, just like most other people in the world who make New Years Resolutions they don't last long. This year I have decided to do something a little different... I am going to make a new resolution for every month. I know I have problems with self discipline (ah yes, here lies the reason for the extra poundage), but I figure even I may be able to keep a resolution for one month. Don't most people make it through January? I hope???

I think every life needs balance which is basically the focus of this blog. This is also the reason I don't usually like to put blanket restrictions on myself. Sometimes blanket restrictions can be a good way to recharge and see what is really important, but sometimes they are just restricting oneself for the sake of restriction.

The goal for these monthly resolutions will be to "see what sticks." If I can spend a month changing my life in some way for the better and it actually becomes a good fit for my life, then maybe it will be easier to keep it as a permanent part of me. And if it doesn't seem to work quite right, I can let it go in good conscience after one month without the feeling of failure because I couldn't stick to it for a whole year. Seems like a shame to have two options like that: either stick to a resolution that maybe once seemed like a good idea, but may not actual fit my lifestyle, or quit part way through the year and feel like a failure. Resolutions are a great idea, but a year is a long time and I don't have the time to waste doing things that don't fit for the balance I am trying to create in my life. So, here is goes. My New Months Resolutions:

January: No soda (starting off small :))
February: No Facebook (this may be tough, but necessary)
March: Gym or a substitute activity every day
April: No alcohol
May: Create art every day
June: Go for a walk every day
July: No Television
August:
September:
October:
November:
December:

I will also be focusing on staying hydrating, eating less meat, and buying more locally grown foods.

In my mind these are some pretty strict requirements and I am going to be realistic by giving myself 5 days off per month if I need them. It hasn't escaped my notice that only part of my year is filled in, but I think it will be better if I start with these and when I hit August I can better pick something that I feel led to at that time. I am hoping this will help with my self discipline issues.  Now....lets see if I can pull this off....Cheers to living The Skinny Life

2 comments:

  1. ooooh i like. was it you i talked to about the locally grown co-ops?? we need to look more into that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was me :)...check out this site.....www.localharvest.org/csa/

    ReplyDelete